When you sign up, ADVANCE gives you:
Access to thousands of healthcare job opportunities
The best healthcare content you can get anywhere
Hours of informative and entertaining multimedia
The latest news, articles, product reviews and much more!
And it's all FREE!
Medical Laboratory Technician/MT
Austin Regional Clinic
City: KYLE |
State: TX |
Country: USA |
ZIP Code: 78640
Job ID Number: | Posted: 01/05/2017
POSITION TYPE: Full Time
Under general supervision and following established laboratory procedures, performs routine medical laboratory tests for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. This position may also perform phlebotomy functions. Carries out all duties while maintaining compliance and confidentiality and promoting the mission and philosophy of the organization.
- Responsible for specimen processing, test performance, and for reporting test results.
- Completes necessary paperwork and logs specimens.
- Arranges for pickup or delivery of specimens sent to reference lab or outside lab.
- Maintains records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient samples.
- Adheres to the laboratory’s quality control policies and documents all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results and either corrects the problem or refers to appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Recognizes alert/critical test results and informs appropriate personnel.
- Communicates information such as test results, normal ranges, and specimen requirements to authorized sources.
- Demonstrates technical laboratory skills to students and new employees.
- Assures that all remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Ensures that patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning.
- Responsible for administering testing according to policies and procedures.
- Responsible for applying Total Quality Management (TQM) guidelines to laboratory processes.
- Adheres to all company policies, including but not limited to, OSHA, HIPAA, compliance and Code of Conduct.
- Regular and dependable attendance.
- Follows the core competencies set forth by the Company, which are available for review on CMSweb.
- Works holiday shift(s) as required by Company policy.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs phlebotomy functions.
- May conduct and/or assist Lab Manager with assessment reviews.
- If qualified, performs high complexity testing only under the onsite, direct supervision of supervisor.
- May assist Lab Manager with scheduling, Kronos and approving time off for lab staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Education & Experience: High School diploma or GED required. Bachelor degree in Science or related field or at least one year experience in laboratory (can include school laboratory training). Phlebotomy may be required. Qualified as Testing Personnel as defined under CLIA.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of lab policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of CLIA regulations.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to handle competing priorities.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to analyze problems, manage conflict, and multi-task.
- Excellent interpersonal & problem solving skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to engage others, listen and adapt response to meet others’ needs.
- Ability to align own actions with those of other team members committed to common goals.
- Excellent computer and keyboarding skills, including familiarity with Windows.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform job duties in a professional manner at all times.
- Ability to understand, recall, and communicate, factual information.
- Ability to understand, recall, and apply oral and/or written instructions or other information.
- Ability to organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology.
- Ability to apply common sense in performing job.
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist/Medical Laboratory Technician certification preferred.
Work Schedule Monday through Friday 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm.